‘Black Panther’ claws way into record books

By Michael Hong

Marvel’s newest addition to its movie repertoire once again shattered the box office record for the largest opening of any stand-alone film, by grossing over $201 million on its first weekend, and definitely for good reason.

“Black Panther” signifies a shift in the Marvel Universe and focuses on the Prince-turned-King T’Challa, played by Chadwick Boseman, and the African country of Wakanda in the events following “Captain America: Civil War.” It documents the power struggle between T’Challa and his cousin, Erik Killmonger, played by Michael B. Jordan, as they clash on how the country should be run.

Holistically, the film shines for several reasons.

Primarily, it capitalizes on the natural charm of Boseman’s portrayal of the Black Panther, as he is flanked by Jordan’s evil, yet emotional, Erik Killmonger, which gives moviegoers some room to sympathize with the villain. It also features award-winning actors like Martin Freeman, Daniel Kaluuya, and Lupita Nyong’o, bringing more than enough star power to dazzle the audience.

Moreover, director and writer Ryan Coogler’s ability to develop the characters, yet keep them relatable to the audience, shows his masterful control and knowledge of public appeal. The layers of T’Challa and Killmonger allow the audience to feel pity and sympathy at one point, only to feel disgust and anger at another, while humorous lines like Princess Shuri’s  “What are those?!” and Ulysses Klaue’s “I literally made it rain!” add some modern jokes that keep viewers entertained.

Additionally, the simplicity of the combat scenes provides a stark contrast to Marvel’s previous films. Although there are some moments where we see magical blasters and explosions, the use of hand-to-hand, spear, and sword-and-shield combat diverge from characters like the flashy Iron Man or the lightning-wielding demigod Thor.

Most importantly, the film is extremely empowering, as it features African Americans in every leading role, an unprecedented feat, and presents women soldiers similar to the Amazons of Patty Jenkin’s “Wonder Woman.” The minority-filled cast and production team serves as inspiration for those young and old, demonstrating that success can come regardless of form and shape. As a result, celebrities like actress Octavia Spencer and Dallas Mavericks player Harrison Barnes bought out screenings to increase accessibility and give kids the chance to truly enjoy the film.

Furthermore, it emphasizes the importance of upholding tradition and culture in the face of growing urbanization through the conflict between T’Challa and Killmonger. The more aggressive Killmonger attempts to combat racism and inequality by force, while the more traditional T’Challa takes a more diplomatic and peaceful approach, insinuating that progress is a process, not something one can just seize. This, in turn, presents the notion that despite all their hardships, they can all still be proud of who they are as individuals, and as a collective people.

While there are still times where the plot armor trumps any semblance of reality, ‘Black Panther’ is undoubtedly a step in the right direction for Marvel Studios. Not only did it uphold its top-tier cinematography, as seen through the Northern Lights-esque dream world, but it added a significant level of depth in its empowering messages.

Personally, I was really conflicted trying to rate the film. Coogler’s depiction of the African American struggle starting with Oakland, California in 1972, and the kids playing basketball on worn-down rectangular baskets tugs on the heartstrings.