Hoenigmann inspires students

By Kevin Pham

Today, the musical talents of the members at Unplugged are cultivated and showcased to the Gabrielino community, but, two years ago, none of this would be possible without Eric Hoenigmann students’ interest in music.

“It was the students’ idea actually. I would always play my instruments a lot in class so my students asked me to [become their advisor],” stated Hoenigmann.

Honigmann involvement in music started before his teaching career. Now, most of the club’s instruments and supplies come from his own collection.

The club was first created in 2009, but due to Hoenigmann’s busy schedule, it unfortunately disbanded at the end of the school year. Unplugged made its comeback five years later during the 2015-16 school year, and has since thrived and continued its mission to explore music and discover hidden abilities.

Hoenigmann’s investment in the club has allowed students from all grade levels to connect over music and motivate them to pursue their dreams.

“Mr. H has always been encouraging us to make music happen,” smiled senior Jessi Pham, “he treats each and every single one of us like one big musical family.”

Hoenigmann  not only coordinates Unplugged plans behind the scenes, but also fuels passion for music in his students. He constantly pushes them to improve their range in musical skills. __ times each week, he allows Unplugged members to utilize his classroom as music studio and on occasion, he would pull out his guitar and join in.

“He is [very] interactive and inspires [club] members to get out of their comfort zone to play new songs and perform,” said freshman Bianca Lua.

Besides encouraging their love for music, Hoenigmann’s influence has affected his students’ perspective on life outside of the club as well.

“Mr. H has inspired me to take initiative and to maintain a positive attitude,” explained senior Kate Correnti, “I’ve found that these two things have been really valuable in leading the club and in my life outside of school.”

For freshmen and seniors alike, Hoenigmann has curated an inclusive club in which all members feel like they are a part of something bigger than themselves. Students joined because of their enthusiasm for music and they stayed because of the people they met.

“Honestly, I’m not needed,” Hoenigmann stated, “The students are completely running it, I’m just here to [ensure] that they maintain their drive for music.”