Basketball shoots for league champions

By Angelina Liang

Opinion Editor

Tonight, the boys and girls basketball teams will be playing against Arroyo High School. Last season, during the second leg of the Mission Valley League games, the Lady Eagles lost to the Knights, 38-47, while the boys won, 51-38.

On Monday, the Eagles faced off against Marshall High School (MHS). Scores were not available at press time.

During the games on Friday against Rosemead High School, the boys and the girls teams won, 65-41 and 52-32, respectively.

On Jan. 19, both teams played Mountain View High School (MVHS) during Stop Cancer Night. In the fourth quarter of the boys game, team captain Jayson Espinosa, senior, received a cut in his left eye and was subsequently taken out of the game. After putting up a tough fight, the boys lost, 58-65.

“We found out [it was Stop Cancer Night] when we got here, but every time we come to Gabrielino we know there is going to be an awesome crowd,” stated MVHS boys basketball head coach, Shacolby Randell.

The girls, on the other hand, had an extremely successful game. In the first quarter, MVHS senior Miracle Barceleau was severely injured. While the crowd cheered for her recovery, the guard eventually had to be wheeled out for a leg injury. As the game came to a close, the lady Eagles added another victory to their record, defeating the lady Vikings, 63-24.

Both the girls and boys teams won against El Monte High School on Jan. 17, 59-27 and 55-38, respectively.

On Jan. 12, the girls won, 67-10, against South El Monte High School while the boys lost, 61-67.

At Arroyo High School on Jan. 10, the Lady Eagles won, 50-35 and the boys lost, 33-49.

The boys and girls teams both defeated MHS on Jan. 8, 69-63 and 39-29, respectively.

In the first league games of the season on Dec. 21, the boys lost, 45-62, while the lady Eagles won, 69-44.

While the boys have a rough record, the team still holds high hopes to conquer the second half of the season to bring home the league title. The girls have had an undefeated season and hope to continue their record to become this year’s league champions.  

“We definitely have good team chemistry on the court. Off the court, we hang out a lot as a team,” stated point guard Taylor Vuong, junior. “Hopefully we can go 12-0 this year for league.”