Seven Satirical Scalawags from the Salty Southern Seas

By Angelina Liang

Opinion Editor

While most students find themselves at just a few school events a year, photographers on the Ash-a-Wut Yearbook Staff can be spotted snapping pictures at every school event during the year.

The staff features eight staff members led by Co-Photo Editors senior Samantha Egurvide and junior Jason Tang work to capture all aspects of student life. The team members work in two groups, each managed by Egurvide and Tang, to be present and take pictures at every school event. Together, they form the team: Seven Satirical Scalawags from the Salty Southern Seas.

“[A lot of my job] is getting in people’s faces” explains Egurvide with a smile.

The Photo Editors also upload and edit all photos that are finalized in the yearbook, work with light and dark contrasts in photos, and manage the equipment used by the Yearbook Staff. They spend most of their time in class sifting through and examining photo after photo in order to decide which picture should be used in the yearbook and what section a specific photo should go into. This is why it is important for the photographers to cover as many school events they can.

As editors, Egurvide and Tran also critique and improve the techniques used by all photographers and influence the design of the Yearbook. Because of this, their positions were designated very carefully. Both were selected for the position of Photo Editor because of their diligence, work ethic, and photography skill.