SGPD partners with Pink Patch Project

By Megan Tran

All throughout October, the San Gabriel Police Department (SGPD) participated in the Pink Patch Project along with the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) and 81 other police agencies across the nation. By working together, their goal is to raise awareness for breast cancer and to raise funds for breast cancer research and treatments.

During Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the SGPD will be wearing pink patches on duty. Each police department has their own pink patch that are specially designed for their division.

The SGPD’s patch for this campaign features an embroidered picture of the San Gabriel Mission with the words “San Gabriel Police” on it and a pink border ribbon on each side.

The pink patches are meant to start conversation with the community and its police officers about the importance of breast cancer, how to detect it early on, and the ongoing fight against it.

Each agency that is a part of the Pink Patch Project has partnered with a breast cancer research organization or support group around their community. The SGPD and 57 other agencies paired with City of Hope.

City of Hope is a foundation and research center that focuses on making a difference in the lives of people who have serious illnesses such cancer and diabetes.  

They partnered with the Pink Patch Project along with the Irwindale Police Department, the first department to sell the patches to their community. Last year, the Pink Patch Program raised $350,000 nationally to fight breast cancer.  

In November, all proceedings from the SGPD will go to support the City of Hope. Over $200,000 has already been raised by all the local police departments contributing to the Pink Patch Project.

The SGPD will be selling pink patches, t-shirts, and challenge coins. Visit the San Gabriel Police Station or contact Sargent Christine Nolasco or Lieutenant Alex Quijada at (626) 308-2828 to purchase these items.

For more information on the Pink Patch Project visit their website at www.pinkpatchproject.com.