Learning techniques of stage craft

By Jannelle Dang

Features Editor

In a room haphazardly strewn with pieces of wood, metal bolts and screws, paint, and unfinished components of projects, the students of Gabrielino High School’s stagecraft class learn how to create sets and manage the backbone of a production in order to bring music, and stories to the stage of the Goodson Theater throughout the year.

Stagecraft is a career and technical education (CTE) course taught by JC Gafford that convenes every Monday and Wednesday after school. Students dedicate eight to ten hours per week towards building and honing their knowledge of putting productions together to prepare themselves for college-level work and careers in stagecraft after. However, in the week leading up to a show, they can be found outside the back of the theater or inside constructing set pieces or learning how to control light and audio technology during rehearsals.

This year, the course is following a new curriculum that divides students into Stagecraft 1, which learns the basics of design and construction, and Stagecraft 2, the advanced group that is in charge of creating pieces and handling stage technology. During class, the groups will occasionally switch so that each can spend time learning through both Gafford’s lectures and textbook material, as well as hands-on work. Students also collaborate and use their experience to help newer members develop their skills.

“My favorite thing about being in [the] stage crew is the family aspect,” stated senior Pattaranan Pookoom, “I think of stagecraft as another home that I come [to] every Monday and Wednesday. It’s just […] another place where you can smile.”

When working towards a play, there are various roles that students fill to make the production come together.

House managers are in charge of ensuring the audience’s safety and enjoyment during performances, while stage managers call cues to direct activity on and off stage. The light operator works in the light booth at the back of the theater alongside the sound operator, who manages the adjacent sound booth. Deckhands execute onstage tasks behind the curtain. Other members of the crew create and assemble set design pieces and props.

“There’s a lot of teamwork involved and […] you get to work with tools a lot,” smiled junior Elijah Rendon-Arce, “it’s pretty interesting […] being backstage and learning all the technicalities of the set.”

With the expertise they gain in stagecraft, students are capable of running plays entirely on their own. Their first production, “Radium Girls,” will show in the Goodson Theater on Nov. 16-18.