‘Home Again’ Cliche but heart warming

By, Elizabeth Campos

After taking on the television world with her award winning drama series, “Big Little Lies,” Reese Witherspoon made a return back to the big screen with “Home Again.” The film, released on Sept. 8, proves that it is never too late to find love. Witherspoon plays Alice Kinney, a divorced mom in her forties. She spends her birthday at a bar with her friends, where she meets three younger men played by Pico Alexander, Nat Wolf, and
    Reid Scott. After a night of excessive drinking, she wakes up to them scattered around her house.

When Alice’s mother, Lillian, played by Candice Bergen, comes to learn of the men’s aspirations to be directors, she suggests to Alice that she offers them a temporary place to stay in her guest house. Watching the movie, I was easily humored by the substance of the script, but most of the plot could be easily guessed. When Alice in-
    vites the men to stay in her guest house, it became inevitable that she was going to fall in love with one of them. With a predictable plot, the surprises the director attempts to
    offer did not come as much of a  shock and continued to remind me that I was just watching another rom-com. The only differe witty and relatable humor sprinkled throughout the movie.

Despite the film’s romantic clichés, the movie ties its loose ends and makes for
    an amiable ending that left me pleased. With Witherspoon as the lead, the movie was carried by her lively personality, creating a relatable sense that arguably would not
    otherwise be there if Alice was casted otherwise. I can say without a doubt that it provided the audience with a reassuring feeling of finding love like any good rom-
    com does.

As the theme of hope and a sense of kindred spirit remains a constant through the story, “Home Again” provided a reason to laugh, be on edge, feel relieved and have a feeling of satisfaction. Witherspoon carries herself with the same charm and charisma as she did in her last movie most millennials remember, “Legally Blonde.” Just as Elle Woods carries herself with determination and confidence, her new character, Alice, shadows those traits in this movie as well. With her spunky energy, Reese embodies Alice as she redefines her family and love life, finding herself home, again.