Track runs, jumps, shot puts to top league

By Jannelle Dang

Opinion Editor

On May 2, the Gabrielino High School track and field team will bring its absolute best to race in the Mission Valley League preliminary competition at Rosemead High School. In this meet, the top three athletes from each track and field event will compete for individual titles and the opportunity to advance to league finals.

Just two days ago, the Eagles faced off against the Rosemead Panthers to determine which school would be named Mission Valley League champions. Scores were unavailable at press time.

Gabrielino won the meet, causing its overall record to match Rosemead’s 4-1 and making the two schools co-league champions. This is the first time a tie for the title has ever happened.

“We need to take these next two weeks to get focused and united as a team,” Coach Ryan Kammerman stated to his team in preparation for the meet, “tune-in on our mechanics and technique, and get well-rested and ready to peak.”

Prior to the high-pressure race, San Gabriel Valley Championships took place on April 22 at San Dimas High School. In this invitational, boys varsity achieved major success, placing third out of the 36 schools that competed in the meet.

Out of the 60 athletes that Gabrielino brought to San Dimas, 15 broke personal records and set season best records. Junior Taylor Thames achieved a new school record for the 200-meter event.

April 13 marked the date of the meet at Arroyo High School, in which the girls varsity team had their first loss of the season, 82- 54, while the boys varsity won, 87-49, a score that would later earn them a shot the league championship title. Senior Jeffrey Vuong broke the school record for shot put.

Earlier in the season, top performers from the GHS team raced in the Tiger Invitational, which was hosted at South Pasadena High School. Seniors Jason Byrd and Vuong won medals in shot put and the 400-meter, respectively, while sophomores Joy Hano, Skylar Hudson, and Julian Thai medaled in 100-meter hurdles, 800-meter, and triple jump, respectively.

Byrd set a new record for GHS, running the 400-meter atthe meet.

Gabrielino’s track and fieldteam has progressed and grown since its first meet of the month, which was an invitational held at Covina High School on April 1. Eleven students placed either first, second, or third in their individual events, with all earning medals.

Byrd established yet another new school record in the 200-meter in that meet as well.

The Eagles’ overall success this season is no surprise given the team’s high caliber and ability to encourage and improve one another.