ASB cooks its way to successful BBQ

By Venisa Wang

Staff writer

While all of Gabrielino High School’s Associated Student Body Committees have an equal amount of work cut out for them, the barbecue committee has a different approach at getting its assigned tasks accomplished.

Unlike the Homecoming and poster committees, the barbecue committee is different as members are expected to work on their own during the time frame that they are given.

“Being on the BBQ committee is harder than the rest,” stated junior Maria Lopez. “For homecoming, there’s already a table and location available for students to purchase what they need. In order to sell tickets for the barbecue, we have to walk around on our own time.”

Although it’s challenging to sell tickets, the ASB members involved with the barbecue always feel satisfied when they see the end product- a vast majority of Gabrielino’s students waiting in line to receive their food. They have put in a lot of effort and it all pays off on the day of the barbecue.

ASB treasurer, Evelyn Xiong, shared that despite the hardships faced, the bond that the members create through pushing past their struggles is essentially what makes them work so well together.

“Selling our BBQ tickets are always difficult in the beginning,” mentions Xiong. “But ASB works together during big events like this in order to achieve the positive outcomes. We strive from each other’s support!”

Ultimately, the reason why there are up to three hundred students who partake in the seasonal ASB barbecue is because of the barbecue committee itself. Not only does it work hard, but even on its off days, the barbecue committee strives to satisfy everyone who purchases a ticket.

Every student in line is left with a smile on their face and a plate full of a delicious lunch before the bell rings for fifth period.

Although the fall and spring barbecues will be the last for the graduating seniors, many of them are still looking forward to this ASB driven event. These students were satisfied with their experience at the barbecue from previous years, knowing that this year will be no different.

“Every year, I buy a ticket and I never regret it,” explains senior, Elena Macias. “I’m always expecting a long line especially since there are so many students, but the food is good whether you’re in the front or back of the line!”

With the high demand of burgers and hot dogs from students, the barbecue committee has a lot of pressure to deliver, and every year, it executes the barbecues flawlessly. From cooking at the grills to setting up and selling tickets, the barbecue committee is always on top of its game.