Aesthetic of a staff member
Aesthetic of a staff member
Staff • June 4, 2024
End of school year sports recap
Bren Belmonte, Staff Writer • May 30, 2024

From Slam Dunks to Body Slams: A Crossover of JV Wrestling and Basketball

Photo creds- Kylie Tran-Hoa

Displayed on the scoreboard in bright red lights was a triumphant scoreline: 53 for the away team, and 22 for the home team. Our Gabrielino JV girls’ basketball team faced off against Marshall High School on the 13th of December, showcasing their skills on the court.

“I think we are still improving and can grow more as a team and bond together,” expressed JV Co-Captain Kylie Tran-Hoa with a hint of aspiration, undoubtedly earned through the intensity of games.

Despite a challenging pre-season marked by a lack of victories, our Eagles soared into the 2023-2024 season, securing victories that spoke volumes about their dedication and growth.

Player 12, pushes through Montebello Oilers JV defense (Bren Belmonte)

And it wasn’t just the girls; our boys’ team, standing at a commendable 3-1 game record, exemplified determination. Avery Chiu, a standout player on the team, reflected on the season with pride. “I think everything is coming together, and I am very proud of the team so far,” Chiu emphasized, his satisfaction evident.

The collective achievement of our Eagles was highlighted in their recent matches against Marshall High School, where the girls dominated with a score of 53-22, and the boys secured a convincing victory with a score of 65-28.

As victories stacked up, the JV boys, in particular, have reasons to be excited about the games to come. Chiu anticipates the challenge presented by Bosco Tech, his former school. Fueled by a lot of shared smack talk, Chiu knows with the accomplishments they’ve made, they will arrive back on campus with that win.

Shifting our focus to the wrestling mat, Avery Tagle, JV captain of our Gabrielino wrestling team, entered the season with optimism. Unfortunately, the results didn’t mirror the success of our basketball teams.

Due to a shortage of wrestlers, Tagle and his teammates faced a tough situation, forfeiting numerous matches and enduring overall losses against Marshall and El Monte. However, Tagle, displaying resilience, found opportunities to contribute during varsity meets by subbing in. Though the outcomes weren’t ideal, with two losses on record, the eagerness in his voice echoed hope for the team’s future.

Having only competed once in November, JV wrestling showcases promise. As more students join and others move up, our wrestlers look forward to a future marked by fuller rosters, solid defense, and a competitive lineup.

In both the world of ballers and wrestlers, the scoreboard reflects more than just numbers. Mirroring the commitment, growth, and hope embedded in the Gabrielino spirit.