Aesthetic of a staff member
Aesthetic of a staff member
Staff • June 4, 2024
End of school year sports recap
Bren Belmonte, Staff Writer • May 30, 2024

Boys golf team shows promising future

Bren Belmonte
CHIPPING CHAMPION Junior Benjamin Ta hits a ball onto the green against Monrovia High School.

On May 2, the Gabrielino High School boys golf team will be competing in the Rio Hondo golf league preliminaries at the Marshall Canyon golf course. 

It is yet to be determined at press time who will be competing. Last season only junior Benjamin Ta competed in the preliminary round, but the team is expecting more than just one player to qualify this season. 

“Our team is full of young guys,” stated Coach Steve Swanson. “But this year, we’ve been having more than just one guy hitting the average needed to qualify, so we have a better chance even with how strong the league is.” 

Facing off against Temple City High School on April 27, the two teams competed at the Alhambra golf course. Scores were unavailable at press time. 

“It’s looking like [Alhambra] will be winning the league,” said Swanson. “They’re kind of like the opposite of us actually, because their team is full of older, experienced seniors whereas we have more freshmen new to the sport.” 

On April 25, Gabrielino competed against Monrovia High School at the Alhambra golf course. Scores were unavailable at press time. 

The Eagles faced South Pasadena High School on April 20 at the Alhambra golf course. Scores were unavailable at press time. 

On April 18, boys golf played against La Cañada High School at the Alhambra golf course. Gabrielino lost, scoring 212-184. 

“I’m particularly proud of our freshmen, as I know it isn’t easy being expected to perform on the course,” stated Team Captain junior Alex Hoe. “They’ve improved since the beginning of preseason, I’d like to let them know their progress should be something to be proud of.” 

On April 11, the Eagles faced off against the South Pasadena Tigers at the Alhambra Golf Course. GHS lost 208-180. 

Competing against Monrovia on March 30, the teams teed off at the Eaton Canyon golf course. While the game was close, the Eagles lost 72-70. 

“Winning is nice, but I also find enjoyment in the moments we share together,” stated Hoe. “Coach rushed over in a golf cart when it started thundering to take us back and what was fun about it was hopping on the back of the cart and hanging from the sides to fit everyone. We were a little shaken up but we had a good laugh about it after.” 

Facing San Marino High School on March 28, the team played at the Santa Anita golf course. Competing, the team lost 236-20. 

On March 23, the Eagles had their first league match against La Cañada at the Brookside Golf Course, losing 218-20. 

On March 21, the Eagles played against Temple City at the Eaton Canyon golf course, losing 228-181. 

GHS played against San Marino on March 16 at the Alhambra golf course. The team lost 116-189. 

“Some challenges the team has faced are scoring well and staying consistent in matches against other schools because of the pressures that are encountered,” said junior Benjamin Ta. “But the team is succeeding in matching each other’s energy.”

On March 9, boys golf teed off against Alhambra High School. Playing on the Alhambra golf course, the team won their second game of the season 234-267. 

Starting the season strong, the Eagles competed against Maranatha High School at the Alhambra golf course on March 7, winning 226-231.