Softball aims to improve rest of season

Softball aims to improve rest of season

By Jordan Liu| Copy Editor

Today, the Gabrielino High School softball team will play against Mountain View High School. Last season, the team played Mountain View twice and won one game after previously losing to them. 

On March 29, the team played against South El Monte High School. Scores were unavailable at press time.

The Eagles faced Arroyo High School on March 28 after the game was rescheduled from March 24. The team lost 19-3.

At an away game on March 20, Gabrielino beat Marshall High School. The Eagles took a strong lead in the beginning and kept it up for the remaining innings, ending the game with a score of 18-4.

“I’m really proud of [the team] for making a lot of progress,” said senior Josephine Garcia, one of the captains of the softball team. “My goal for the rest of the reason is to see growth for sure. We have really strong bonds. It’s just how we play on the field with each other. Communication is the biggest thing.”

The team played a home game against El Monte High School on March 18 and lost 3-24.

On March 8, the team played an intense game against Montebello High School. Although the Eagles took a strong lead at the beginning of the game, Montebello caught up by scoring eight points in the fifth inning, resulting in Gabrielino barely losing 16-21.

“But now we’ve learned from our mistakes […] at the next practice our coaches told us individually what we could have done better and so we took that into account and were able to apply it to the next game,” senior Maleea Perez stated.

On March 3, Gabrielino played Pioneer High School and lost 3-16. According to Garcia, the game was one of the team’s toughest losses.

“We just didn’t seem like we had it together, our minds were in other places,” Garcia stated. “After the game the captains talked to the team and we basically just tried to think of ways that we can build off what happened and how we can work harder at practice.”

Gabrielino lost to Polytechnic High School on Feb. 22. Although the girls played hard, Polytechnic ultimately took the victory over them, winning 9-5. 

The Eagles played against Baldwin Park High School on Feb. 18, losing 3-9.

On Feb. 15, the softball team kicked off its season with a victory against Hoover High School, winning 9-2. 

Even though it was their first game, the girls brought passion and energy, starting the season strong.

“We had a lot of energy, even from the girls on the bench. We all did really good individually,” stated Perez.