Gabrielino Speech Showcase presents award-winning performances

Bren Belmonte
EXPOS EXPERT Sophomore Ashley Lau uses boards to perform her informative speech at Showcase.

On May 13 and 14, Gabrielino’s Screamin’ Eagles Speech and Debate team hosted their annual showcase of state and national qualifier speeches in the Goodson Theatre. The lineup for the speakers on both days was an array of students whose speeches were among the top in the state or country.

The purpose of the event was to showcase the school’s award-winning speeches from across the year for parents and students to see.

In addition, this showcase was for students to show off their skills one last time, especially seniors who would not have further opportunities to perform.

The showcase included a segment of senior recognition. The student would walk onto the stage, sometimes with parents accompanying them, with their college or university being announced.

Spectators showed their support by clapping for each senior out of support for their soon-to-be next chapter of their life. 

One of the seniors who performed was Hana Thai. She said, “As a communicator I think one of the most rewarding feelings is connecting to your audience and giving them a good laugh.”

Thai performed an original oratory piece regarding the desensitization of common reoccurrences that people ignore. She brought up serious topics along with a twist of humor. 

“Tragedy can strike in a blink of an eye,” Thai stated in her speech.

Sophomore Ashley Lau performed in the informative category. She had an original speech that made use of boards and props to create a clearer understanding.

Emotions and tears were the main topics of the speech. Lau stated during the speech, “Crying is the most contagious emotion…tears are what keep us connected.”

Lau continued, “I have come to terms with my emotions.”

This was Lau’s first showcase as a Screamin’ Eagle. She qualified for state championships. 

Sophomore Sherry Shi performed an oratorical interpretation about women in business, speaking about its relation to women’s empowerment. Shi spoke about her hope for global representation, asking questions to the audience such as, “I urge each and every one of you, what do we do now? What is it in life that you cannot accomplish?”

At the end, Shi called on audiences to believe the world could change if people had more ambition.

Senior Alden Do showcased his humorous interpretation, displaying numerous comedic character interpretations.

Besides Do’s jokes, stunts were another major highlight of the speech. Changing voices and accents were used throughout the speech as well

Performing at the Gabrielino Speech and Debate Showcase is a long-time tradition that a variety of students in all grade levels watch.

Sophomore Ava Doron, a state champion competitor, said, “These people are pretty amazing performers… performing on stage is such a privilege and would be remembered.”

Champion alumni opened up the night with a video stating congratulations to the current members of the Screamin’ Eagles. Trophies from past Gabrielino speech and debate years were displayed in the background of the stage.

Gabrielino’s Screamin’ Eagles Speech and Debate team is ranked first in Southern California for its award-winning program.