Eagles enter stargazing fantasy for Prom

By Belle Nhan | Staff Writer

Photo courtesy of Patrick Chin
PROM PERFECTION Seniors pose in front of Pasadena City Hall before attending Prom at the Samuel Oschin Space Shuttle Pavilion. Sofia Chavez, back row, second from the right, and Logan Tan, front row far right, were named Prom Queen and King, respectively. The theme for teh night was “Walking in a Dream: A Stargazer’s Fantasy.”

Prom was held at the Samuel Oschin Space Shuttle Pavilion, on April 22, from 7 pm to 11 pm.
The Prom court was made up of ten seniors. Sofia Chavez was named Prom Queen and Prom King was Logan Tan.
Attendees voted on the day of Prom to determine the queen and king.
The Princes included seniors Brandon Chai, Chien-Hao Chen, Collin Chong, and Travis Phun. The Princesses included seniors Emily Casciani, Shannon Rubio, Elizabeth Wakamatsu, and Hanna Wong.
The prom’s theme was “Walking in a Dream: A Stargazer’s Fantasy.”
Junior Class Council (JCC) vice president, Reyan Nguy explained, “[The theme is] based off of [the venue], since the venue is like science [and] space.”
The theme was intended by JCC to be a unique twist on traditional space themes.
“We didn’t want it to be exactly like space, but we just wanted [it] to be iconic. Just to sound so good, so when people look at the name even though it’s long, it’s solid. More people would be intrigued by the name,” stated JCC president Trinh Huynh.
Prom tickets were first sold at $110 and the final price was $120. About a month before Prom, tickets were sold out.
According to Huynh, Prom is an exclusive event for upperclassmen. About 400 students attended the event.
It is a tradition for JCC to arrange Prom. JCC worked with fellow ASB members and Wow! Events, a guest event coordinator company, to plan the whole event.
The council had to raise about $6,500, which was achieved through fundraising throughout the school year.
Huynh stated, “[We had to fundraise] to afford more things. Like all of the extra costs, which [included] a red carpet or the uplights.”
Due to previous JCC plans for Prom from the 2020 school year, the school had already made a reservation with the venue. According to Nguy, because of this, JCC was not able to choose the venue.
“We are satisfied with how it turned out anyways, because it did save a lot of money for the school,” Huynh continued, “If we had picked a different [location], then it would be a lot more money. I just think [it] was for the best.”
Decorations included a red carpet at the entrance and clouds with fairy lights on each table.
At the venue, dinner and dessert were provided. Some of the entrees included chicken, pasta, and salad.
Additionally, Clifford Photography provided professional photo opportunities for attendees. A caricature artist and a Polaroid station were also available.
The DJ was a guest DJ, selected by the event coordinators.