‘The Batman’ brings clean, comic-worthy style to film

By Bren Belmonte | Staff Writer

On March 4, the exceptional action pact film, “The Batman,” rated PG-13, appeared in theaters and struck audiences. When a sadistic killer leaves cryptic clues in the form of letters at crime scenes, Batman (Robert Pattinson) embarks on an investigation beneath Gotham City’s surface. The perpetrator’s criminal plans become obvious as the evidence leads closer to Bruce Wayne. With Matt Reeves’ clever directing, Batman must forge new bonds, uncover the criminal, and bring justice to Gotham’s long history of power abuse and corruption.

A pattern linking the beginning and end was an inner monologue that conveyed Batman’s true feelings. The dialogue, “I am the shadows,” is a perfect portrayal from Pattinson of Batman’s self-sufficiency.Spoiler alert ahead! Another aspect is the feeling of grief in the Wayne household for the butler Alfred Pennyworth (Andy Serkis) during his hospitalization after being attacked by the Riddler (Paul Dano). Bruce Wayne stays strong for his parental figure but eventually breaks to show grief and sympathy. 

Pattinson’s portrayal of Batman is incredibly clean and comic-book worthy. When he comes out of the shadows during the opening and fighting scenes, the action did not come off as overly dramatic. It was a sense of duty. 

Dano did the character of the Riddler justice while acting as the witty DC Comics villain. He deeply entrenched this film in horror and fright. The interpretation of the twisted serial killer left me shaking throughout the movie. It was terrifying how Dano’s interpretation of the comic book villain seemed life-like. 

“Batman acted as more than a source of vengeance; he was a source of hope.”

Zoë Kravitz who played Selina Kyle, also known as Catwoman, made her own statement on playing a vigilante. Kravitz interpreted her Catwoman in a flirty, selfless, and “living on the edge” type of self. Kravitz created her own Selina, paving the way for more to come. 

The director, Reeves, produced multiple aspects of each scene including actor quality, cinematography, and costuming. Every action scene left me with goosebumps and full of suspense. 

The care that went into the cinematography was the most phenomenal part of this motion picture, especially the fantastic club scenes. Batman fans were familiar with the Iceberg Lounge from comic books and television shows, which made an appearance in the movie. Although “The Batman” made it appear more dark, the idea of a feel-good club with rampant drug usage made a lot of sense in the context of the film. 

The overall Gotham City is set in a metropolis-like society but in a more grunge and noir aspect to set the mood of mystery. 

Remarkable costume designers assisted in the ground-breaking film. David Crossman and Glyn Dillon custom-made Batman’s suit along with the rest of the clothing. Jacqueline Durran also helped create the costume designs that complimented the score for the movie which was written by Michael Giacchino.

A song that frequently appeared in the movie was the first sequence that audiences heard during the opening: Franz Schubert’s “Ave Maria.” The theme for the Riddler had a twisted minor key to give the song an even more playfully grim aspect when it appeared three times throughout the film. Spoiler alert ahead! The song is graphically associated with death, with the first instance of it foreshadowing Mayor Don Mitchell Jr.’s death. Many of the other scores involve the orchestration of a dramatic and dark cue that starts quietly before soaring to a huge magnificent crescendo, showcasing the legendary Batman themes.

When Batman ruthlessly batters intruders at the end, he takes care of the citizens of Gotham when he is finished. This does not just occur in his usual fighting scenes, where he vanishes into the night at the conclusion. Batman acted as more than a source of vengeance; he was a source of hope. After completing his dramatic action sequences, Batman proves to Gotham that he is a person to trust by assisting with rescues.