Orchestra, band prepare for Spring concert
Brian Ly, Production Chief • May 10, 2024
Chenlu Yang, junior, and Cedric Hua, sophomore, on the official Speech & Debate Showcase poster | Photo courtesy of Peyton Ong
Speech Showcases their passion, pride
Sophia Pu, Editor in Chief • May 10, 2024

TCHS Presents Shrek The Musical!

Photo Creds: Mark_Christensen_Photography

As the projector flickered to life, the word “Shrek” sprawled across the screen, igniting anticipation among the gathered crowd. In the dimly lit theater, seats brimmed with eager spectators, clutching drinks and cameras in anticipation of the spectacle about to unfold. From the San Gabriel community to Temple City, a sense of shared excitement permeated the air.

With the opening notes of the musical, the stage came alive with the enchanting backstory of Fiona and Shrek. As the actors and actresses delved into their characters, the melody of “Big Bright Beautiful World” filled the theater, drawing the audience into the whimsical realm of Duloc. Against a backdrop of vibrant scenery, the “freaks” of Duloc emerged, their exuberant voices setting the stage for the journey ahead.

Suddenly, amidst the unfolding tale, a burst of laughter erupted as the beloved Donkey literally dropped from the heavens, his enthusiastic greeting of Shrek eliciting uproarious amusement from the audience. Together, the unlikely duo embarked on their quest to reclaim Shrek’s swamp, their burgeoning friendship a source of both humor and heartwarming camaraderie.

Amidst swirling smoke and the dramatic entrance of guards, the diminutive figure of Lord Farquaad emerged, resplendent in his bright red attire and distinctive bob. The aroma of gingerbread and marshmallows wafted through the air as the hapless Gingerbread Man faced ridicule at the hands of the imperious lord.

“No! Not my gumdrop buttons!” cried the Gingerbread Man in protest, his lament echoing through the theater with comedic effect.

Against the backdrop of Duloc’s orderly facade, the workers performed “What’s up, Duloc,” their synchronized movements and catchy refrain painting a picture-perfect portrait of the seemingly idyllic town.  Duloc’s Mascot might have been the highlight of the show for me, with the megahead being present during the performance.

As Shrek negotiated with Lord Farquaad for the title of knight and the chance to rescue Princess Fiona, the stage transformed once more, revealing Fiona as a wide-eyed young girl dreaming of her storybook romance. With a blend of impatience and longing, Fiona sang of her desire to escape the clichés of fairy tales and find her own path to happiness.

At the tower’s peak, Shrek and Fiona’s encounter unfolded with palpable tension, their banter laced with hidden motives and unspoken desires. Yet, their burgeoning connection was interrupted by the dramatic entrance of Donkey and the fearsome dragon, their clash of personalities adding a layer of humor to the unfolding drama.

With impeccable timing, smoke effects, and vivid lighting heightened the spectacle. Against this backdrop, Shrek, Fiona, and Donkey embarked on their journey back to Duloc, seeking refuge in a cave as daylight waned.

As tensions simmered and emotions ran high, misunderstandings threatened to unravel the fragile bond between Shrek and Fiona. Despite their shared moments of camaraderie—burping, farting, and eating together—their relationship teetered on the brink of collapse.

Amidst the opulent setting of Lord Farquaad and Princess Fiona’s wedding, Shrek’s dramatic entrance from the crowd added a touch of chaos to the proceedings, eliciting gasps of astonishment from the audience. Yet, amidst the chaos, the truth of Fiona’s identity was revealed, uniting the two ogres in a triumphant finale.

With the rousing chorus of “I’m a Believer” by Smash Mouth echoing through the theater, the cast took their final bows, drawing the curtains on a performance that had brought all five senses to life. In the end, Temple City High School had truly outshone, leaving the audience spellbound by their enchanting rendition of “Shrek: The Musical.”