Viewpoints: Apple vs Samsung

Samsung boasts innovation, reliability, cost-effective prices

By Jayden Tran | Staff Writer

Since 2009, Samsung has been Apple’s leading competitor in the smartphone industry. Samsung continues to 

innovate with its newest phones, while also maintaining a cost-effective lineup of other models; each new release proving its worth over Apple’s releases. 

Samsung has three flagship smartphones. The Galaxy S21 and its variants, the Galaxy Z Flip3, and the Galaxy Z Fold. All three phones have varying upsides between them. The S21 is a standard 6.8-inch screen smartphone, the Flip3 and Fold3 are the latest iterations of Samsung’s new line of smartphones with bendable screens.   

Comparing the specs of the S21, Samsung’s flagship, to the iPhone 13, Apple’s flagship, reveals that the S21 is the better model to choose. According to a CNN article comparing the two phones, the S21, and its models have larger and higher-quality displays, higher-quality cameras, and faster charging times. In addition, the S21 is around the same price as the iPhone 13.

The S21 was not the only phone to release in 2021 for Samsung. Samsung introduced the A32, A42, and A52 in early 2021. The A Series of Samsung phones are far more affordable, often being hundreds of dollars less than usual.

The A32 starts at $280, the A42 at $400, and the A52 at $500. Apple’s current cheapest phone being the iPhone SE starts at $500 and is less powerful than the A32, A42, and A52. With a smaller screen, slower processor, lower-resolution display, and overall worse battery life, Apple’s cheapest phone fails to compare to one of Samsung’s cheapest.

All three phones help consumers take it easy on their wallets, while still having modern devices.

Although boasting affordability, Samsung manages to keep ahead of the competition, with the Z Flip3 and Z Fold3. Being major improvements from the previous models, the Flip3 and Fold3 continue to improve on the revolutionary idea of bendable screens.

The specs on Samsung’s store list the Flip3 having a 6.7-inch display. The Fold3 has a 6.2-inch screen on the cover and a 7.6-inch screen when opening the phone. Having the same processor as the S21 Ultra, the Flip3 and Fold3 prove to be Samsung’s most innovative phones yet.

Despite Samsung’s old stigma of being “the cheaper alternative”, they have sought to turn themselves around into the new novel phone brand spearheading through Apple. 

Samsung also boasts easier-to-manage software. Using Android, a Google-based brand, it is more straightforward to link a Samsung phone to someone’s computer or Google account. Making it effortless to work between home and on the go. 

Samsung also creates hardware for Apple. 

“Samsung Electro-Mechanics will be supplying its rigid-flexible printed circuit boards (RFPCB) to Apple for the iPhone 13.” stated a report by TheElec, “RFPCB is used to connect the OLED panel with the mainboard.”

Samsung has been supplying hardware components for Apple’s phones for over a decade. Despite Apple’s claims of innovation, it is evident that Samsung has been aiding Apple’s progress for years, and without them, most of Apple’s smartphones would not be as mainstream as they are today.

Not only is Apple incapable of supplying their own technology, resorting to Samsung’s hardware, but Samsung’s phones continue to improve on the last iteration with each new release. Solidifying their place in the budget and expensive markets, Samsung will continue to prove to be the better pick for smartphone users.

iPhone outclasses Samsung in layout, product compatibility

By Belle Nhan | Staff Writer

The heated debate between which is the superior brand, Apple or Samsung, ends here. The iPhone is the one and only choice a consumer should ever consider regarding purchasing a new phone. 

Apple might be most noted for their revolutionary contributions to the computer industry, but it is difficult to ignore their most popular gadget, the iPhone. Introduced in 2007, the iPhone surpassed the limitations that accompany the Samsung Galaxy smartphones. Each year, the iPhone continues to outdo Samsung in a number of aspects. 

iPhones are created with a built-in software called iOS. According to the Apple Developer website, the framework “lets apps achieve a consistent appearance across the system, while at the same time offering a high level of customization,” making the layout “flexible and familiar.”

Not only is the iOS interface system more flexible and customizable, it also comes with better specs. 

Steven Winkelman from PCMag.com stated, “Both the iPhone 13 and 13 Pro Max sport Apple’s latest A15 Bionic processor, but the Pro models have more powerful GPUs. On the iPhone 13 and 13 mini, you’ll find 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage configurations.” 

In comparison, the Samsung Galaxy S21 and S21 Ultra only have 128GB and 256GB options.

iOS 14, which was released in September  of last year, displayed numerous incredible features. For example, the Picture in Picture feature allows users to view a video while doing something else on the home screen. This feature can be utilized with just a tap on an Apple device, while on a Samsung, customers have to set it up through settings and complete a number of steps. 

Picture in Picture is supposed to be a user-friendly feature, yet, it becomes a complex and troublesome issue when trying to use it on a Samsung phone. 

Another big difference between Apple and Samsung is their compatibility with accessories, like earbuds.

An individual is able to use Apple Airpods and an iPhone at the same time without any hindrances, unlike when using Samsung earbuds. According to Wired.com, many customers have experienced sound fall-out in Samsung earbuds, causing them to buy new replacements or turn to Apple.

In the upcoming iPhone 15, the device will allow more people to do more together. According to the Apple website, SharePlay will be introduced. Consumers can interact with one another and listen or watch a variety of entertainment together.

“iOS 15 is packed with new features that help you connect with others, be more present and in the moment, explore the world, and use powerful intelligence to do more with [the] iPhone than ever before,” according to the Apple website.

Apple earbuds and other Apple gadgets are guaranteed to have exceptional quality for a more reasonable price.

A Samsung phone can easily cost up to over $1500, whereas iPhones are often no more than $900. 

The sheer popularity of the iPhone shows that people trust this product. Business Insider reported that 82 percent of American teenagers prefer Apple over Android. 

Consumers keep coming back and purchase the new version of the phone every single year because the phone keeps on improving. Even if one does not purchase the new iPhone, users often receive updates that further improve existing features. Only the iPhone can present an experience with ultimate convenience and simplicity.