Cross country team runs in CIF prelims, misses finals

By Brian Ly | Copy Editor 

On Nov. 13, the Gabrielino High School Eagles ran at the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Southern Section Division Preliminaries. Running an approximately three mile route at Mt. San Antonio College, the Eagles competed against leagues from all across Southern California. 

The preliminaries were split into divisions, which consisted of schools from various Southern Californian leagues. Each division designated schools into multiple smaller groups called heats. 

Gabrielino ran in Division 3, competing in heat two for mens varsity and heat three for womens varsity. 

“Prelims were not the best for us,” stated junior Rachel Young. “But the team was supportive of everyone and it was the last race we would run with the seniors.” 

To progress to finals, schools must place in the top five of their heat. The Eagles placed 14th in mens varsity, scoring 387. Womens varsity placed 11th with a score of 277.  As a result, the Gabrielino Eagles will not be competing at the CIF finals.

“It was challenging,” said Coach Ryan Kammerman. “It’s very difficult to advance to finals but making it to the prelims and competing was still an amazing experience for the team. We’re really proud of the students and a successful season.” 

The Eagles ran their last league race on Nov. 2 at the Mission Valley League Finals, competing against Arroyo High School, El Monte High School, Marshall Fundamental Secondary School, Mountain View High School, Rosemead High School, and South El Monte High School. 

“We fared quite well,” stated Kammerman. “Most of the teams’ personal records or season bests were on that course this season.” 

Due to COVID-19 circumstances, the league races were held at a course designed by an Arroyo coach instead of usual running locations such as Legg Lake or Bonelli Park. Running on a three mile course, the team placed second in womens varsity with a score of 36 and fourth in mens varsity with a score of 93.

“Overall, this season was everything I could have asked for!” said Young. “The team was fun and loving, and I was able to set a new personal record.”

Individually, many of the Eagles ran personal or season bests in this race. Senior Emma Shelton placed third in womens varsity and broke 20 minutes for the first time this season. 

Senior Bryan Chow placed first and won all three league races in mens varsity, becoming one of the only Gabrielino league champions to consistently place first in the league races.