Cross country pacing through season

By Paige Dance | Copy Editor

Yilin Yao | Tongva Times
STRUTTING THEIR STUFF  The cross country team celebrates their season as they walk to the stage in the quad, receiving cheers from students at the Fall Rally on October 11

The Gabrielino Eagles will face off against Arroyo High School, South El Monte High School, Rosemead High School, El Monte High School, and Marshall Fundamental Secondary School at the Mission Valley League Finals Meet on Nov. 3. 

The Eagles ran the Hilmer Lodge Stadium route during the 73rd Mt. San Antonio College Invite on Oct. 22, competing against schools such as Arcadia High School, Beverly Hills High School, Temple City High School, and over 400 more schools. Results were unavailable at time of press. 

Coach Ryan Kammerman stated, “Mt. Sac is going to be tough mentally as well as physically, but we’re in good shape.”

On Saturday, Oct. 16, the Bell Gardens 34th Annual Invitational took place, with Gabrielino competing against 30 schools including La Salle High School and Arroyo. This invitational was a 3 mile course run at El Dorado East Regional Park. 

The second league meet of the season took place on October 6. This was a very successful race for the entire team, as nearly every runner ran a personal best for the season or their career. Womens varsity placed second at the meet, scoring 32, with Arroyo winning first place with a score of 27 and South El Monte placed third, with a score of 65. The mens varsity team placed third at the league meet, scoring 84, Marshall Fundamental coming in second with 70 points, and Arroyo in first, with a score of 21.  

On Oct. 2, the Eagles competed in the Central Park Invite against 69 schools, including Arcadia, Rosemead, Maranatha High School, and San Marino High School. The race took place at Huntington Beach Central Park, where the athletes ran 3 miles. Both men and women ran 3 miles in division 2, with the women placing 11 out of 18 with a score of 232 and the men placing 15 out of 19 and a score of 360. 

Gabrielino had their first league meet on September 15 at Arroyo. According to Coach Kammerman, this was the most challenging meet. Even though the team has been training since June, however, after not training competitively for almost two years, the first meet back proved to be difficult. Both womens and mens varsity placed second in the meet, with a score of 80 for women and 34 for men.