Amazing Asian American and Pacific Islanders in entertainment

By Ashley Sanchez | Staff Writer

Asian American representation in entertainment is needed more than ever, Although few actors, directors, and artists have climbed through the ranks of mainstream popularity, it’s time they be acknowledged, here are some to check out!

The beautiful romantic comedy film, “Crazy Rich Asians” (2018) based on a book written by Kevin Kwan reflects a Cinderella story as lead character Rachel Chu meets her boyfriend’s intensely royal family in Singapore. The hit movie has become a cultural force, its vivid representation of Asian culture and actors is overwhelmingly amazing as well as a perfect film for movie night at home. 

American actress Awkwafina is not only one of the best in entertainment today but a multi talented force in being a comedian, rapper, tv host to successful actress. In “The Farewell” (2019) her character’s role reveals hardships from the disconnect to her homeland while also reflecting on the power of grief and love; it is a must watch.

In the dance industry, a powerful force in choreography has been Chinese-American painter/director Shen Wei who strategically utilizes discipline and cultural influence to create his beautiful works of art. Wei has a number of books, artwork and performances of his choreography displayed on his dance company website; his upcoming show is August 18th at seven p.m.

South Korean film director Bong- Joong Ho’s Oscar winning “Parasite” (2019) is another great film to watch, the defining cinematic plot made it’s spot in entertainment history. Not only was “Parasite” groundbreaking for encouraging filmmaking creativity but its cultural significance as the Academy awards the first Korean production a Best Picture Oscar.

Young Filipino American artist, actress and songwriter Olivia Rodrigo has risen to fame with hit song “Driver’s License” and has used her platform to speak out against injustice. Rodrigo’s live performance of new hit song “deja vu” recorded in an asian market has been a proud reflection of her ethnicity and can be found on Youtube. 

For any art lovers, Japanese artist Toshio Aoki’s watercolor paintings from the 1800s can be found in the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Aoki’s beautiful depiction of Japanese style paintings soon acquired him a successful studio in Southern California where he thrived and lived till his death in 1912. 

Famous actor, Jackie Chan is another highlight of the Asian film industry whose films such as “The Karate Kid” (2010) and “Rush Hour” (1998) reveal his acrobatic stunts and gold of humor. Not only known for doing his own amazing stunts, directing and acting but is UNICEF and UNAIDS Goodwill Ambassador as he paved the way in entertainment as one of the best. 

With the rise of social media came a rise of influencers, Nabela Noor of Bangladesh descent has utilized her platform as a influencer to speak out against causes such as body image, healthy living in her IGTV series “Pockets of Peace” and frequently speaks out against injustice. Noor’s recent release of children’s book “Beautifully Me” (2021) is a heartwarming read for families and their kids.

Throughout the years, the entertainment industry has grown to become one of the most influential pieces in our society. While lack of diversity still prevails, it does not hold back these amazing Asian American and Pacific Island artists and their art.