People of color must unite in face of injustice

By Ashley Sanchez | Staff Writer

usatoday

In light of the pandemic, Asian American hate crimes have nearly doubled since years before 2020. In the face of this oppression, it is clear that in order to make effective change, our society requires unity among people of color and Asian American/Pacific Islanders since division has become a source of hate.

The large uprise in these hate crimes had originated from Donald Trump’s presidency in 2020 as he continually blames China for causing the COVID-19 pandemic, calling the virus names such as “Chinese virus” and “Kung flu.” 

While his racist tendencies are no surprise, the ignorance among his supporters caused them to take matters into their own hands, and led to violent streaks of hate crimes among Asian Americans. 

It has been long known that racial injustice against the Black and brown communities has prevailed time and time again as white supremacy runs through generations of hate as the ill suited protectors of America. 

Asian American experience with racial injustice, while long overlooked, has endured many of these struggles throughout history as well. 

For many years, it has been evident the Asian American community has been viewed and placed under the notion as the “model minority” as they are known as hard workers while also know how to keep their head down and silent. 

Yet this too is a representation of how our country continues to suppress those that are different in order to ensure their being remains in the shadows while ignoring their pains and their struggles.

Professor of Asian American Studies and co-founder of Stop AAPI Hate stated,”The racism overall against Asian Americans is another form of white supremacy. As Asian Americans dismantle the racism directed toward us as outsiders, we’re partnering with African Americans in dismantling how they’re racialized and oppressed.”

It is pivotal that the Black and brown community stand in solidarity with Asian Americans in light of the violence being inflicted upon them today and there are many ways to help. 

First and foremost, being educated on the oppression, neglect and struggles AAPI’s face is key to understanding the complex nature of their long history. 

Alvina Wong from the Asian Pacific Environmental Network stated,”From there, look at the history of Asian and Black solidarity and joint struggle … the civil rights era and even the early joint labor movements. I think people could do their due diligence to seeking it out and learning it up.”

Another way to help is to provide mutual aid and maintain active by joining organizations that help Asian American communities. Depending on how much you can help, there are numerous ways to get involved such as joining, supporting or donating to organizations such as Stop AAPI Hate, Southeast Asian Community Alliance, Filipino Cultural Center, etc. 

“Restorative practices, and for long-term economic and racial justice that lifts up all communities, especially working class communities of color, even after media attention has died down,” stated Lai Wa Wu of the Chinese Progressive Association.