Racism and violence against Asians must end

Staff Editorial

Protesters gather at the Mission Playhouse in San Gabriel to protest anti-Asian hate crime
Photo by Sophia Pu | Tongva Times

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic that has spread rapidly across the globe, anti-Asian hate crimes have been rising at an alarming rate. Countless acts of violence have been committed towards the Asian community and harmed hundreds of lives. This must be stopped.

Although racism against Asian Americans is not new by any means, ever since the novel coronavirus reached the United States in March 2020, Asian Americans have become targets of heightened racially-motivated hatred and violence, constantly being blamed for the pandemic, which originated in Wuhan, China. Hate crimes against Asians have risen by approximately 150 percent in major cities, with attacks ranging from spitting and shunning to verbal and physical assault. 

These acts of violence are not only blatantly racist, but plainly ignorant. 

According to NPR, “[The rise in hate crimes are attributed to the] xenophobic rhetoric that connects the COVID-19 pandemic with Asian Americans, which includes former President Donald Trump’s habit of blaming the virus on China.”

Trump’s tendency of calling COVID-19 the “China Virus” only encouraged the harmful belief that Asians and Asian Americans are to blame for the pandemic. 

Not only was this label racist – implying that all Asians, or those who appear East Asian, are Chinese – but it also implies that all Asians are to blame for the pandemic and should be punished.

According to a Pew Research study, “Since the pandemic began, about four in 10 adults in the U.S. say it has become more common for people to express racist views toward Asian-Americans.”

It is xenophobic to blame an entire race of people for the spread of a virus that they had nothing to do with. The racism stemming from this ignorant belief has injured and even cost people their lives.

On Feb. 7, 51-year-old Matthew Leung was waiting for a bus near Rosemead Boulevard and Marshall Street when the man he was having a conversation with attacked him with his own cane. Leung, an elementary school teacher, took multiple hits to the head and hand, consequently losing the tip of his finger.

In Temple City, an Asian American man was on a walk with his dog when a stranger began verbally harassing him with racist remarks. When the man tried to walk somewhere else, the harasser returned, continuing with the remarks, but this time holding an ax. Luckily, there were no physical injuries.

With the majority of San Gabriel Valley’s population being Asian, this community should be coming together and doing what we can to fight against this hatred.

Candlelight vigil in Almansor Park in Alhambra in memorial of the Atlanta Shooting
Photo courtesy of Mialani Morales

There are many ways that we can do this. First off, supporting Asian businesses and restaurants is an easy and effective way to show solidarity for the community during this difficult time. Although it may seem like a small act, it can have a big impact. 

Secondly, making sure that people are saying something when they see something. Do not wait until it is too late.

Lastly, there are many organizations dedicated to ending Asian hate that people can donate to. Stop AAPI Hate, Asian Americans Advancing Justice, and AAPI Community Fund are just a few examples. 

It is important for everyone to do their part in stopping these hate crimes, especially since so many enjoy Asian food and art—they cannot just pick parts of the culture to indulge in while ignoring the cries of help.

Overall, this anti-Asian violence has gone on for far too long, with too many lives lost, too many families in pain, too many people living in fear.  People need to use their voices to speak out against these atrocious acts of violence. Asians and Asian Americans are being reduced to a virus. This hatred and racism is unacceptable, dehumanizing, and a testament to the United States’ racial ignorance.

Disclaimer: The Tongva Times posts this flyer for informational purposes only.