Gabrielino’s Hispanic Parent Group gives parents answers in time of uncertainty

By Ashley Sanchez | Staff Writer 

As students ease into their second semester of virtual academy, Gabrielino High School parents fight to stay informed, with the help of environments such as the Hispanic Parent Group. The group began at Gabrielino in 2018 in order to ensure Hispanic families feel that they have a place to vocalize and discuss issues that are important to them.

Many of the questions in the meetings regard topics such as,”meetings about the virtual academy, the possibility and plan moving forward to return to school, college applications, and the SAT,” stated Assistant Principal Eva Shin, who leads the meetings. 

Prior to this year, the meetings had been actually facilitated in Spanish with the help of community liaison and Gabrielino Spanish teachers, Xenia Rivera. 

Now transitioning to Zoom, meetings are led by Shin and translated in Spanish with the help of School Community Liaison of SGUSD, Jacquline Olivia. 

When it comes to the meetings, “[Parents] can discuss the topics they feel are important and an administrator is there to provide answers if needed,” stated Shin. 

In the meeting held on Jan. 21, questions regarding the well being of students were discussed amongst parents and Shin. This opened a discussion about the difficult times students may have transitioning back to school and how the school will be equipped to aid the students. 

One of the biggest concerns was regarding the vaccinations, after LAUSD revealed it would require students to be vaccinated. While our district has not received information from the county about vaccinations for students, Shin reassured that information would be transferred to families as soon as possible.

One parent, Hilda Castaneda, had addressed the letter written by Gabrelino student Kelly Tran to the school,  as well as whether our school would be prepped to help students adjust to a time of loss. 

Shin replied by acknowledging that she had sat with Tran to talk and understands the importance of taking this information to the board in order to ensure that parents have the resources they need to help the students.

Unaware of this letter, parent Ceazer Hernandez went on to ask in Spanish,”How can I know if my own son is okay? I see him on Zoom meetings all day, but how can I really know?”

This question alone, while difficult to answer, brings to light the uncertainty and worry parents face for their children which is why it is pivotal to keep them informed. 

“I know that first generation families and families that are not comfortable speaking in English can sometimes feel intimidated in an English-speaking environment and school-related matters because schooling in America is not the same as in other countries,” stated Shin,”It’s great to have a place where families feel they can speak openly and comfortably.”

Any Hispanic parents interested in joining the Zoom meetings should email Eva Shin, our assistant principal, for the next meeting on March 18.