Aesthetic of a staff member
Aesthetic of a staff member
Staff • June 4, 2024
End of school year sports recap
Bren Belmonte, Staff Writer • May 30, 2024

New things for Gabrielino in the 2024-2025 school year

+Final+words+to+ASB%3A+Thank+you+for+helping+me+to+become+a+better+leader+as+I+helped+you+do+the+same.+Continue+to+do+the+work+that+you+have+done+with+the+highest+integrity+possible.
Bren Belmonte
Final words to ASB: Thank you for helping me to become a better leader as I helped you do the same. Continue to do the work that you have done with the highest integrity possible.

Gabrielino High School has been evolving for 29 years, continually introducing new changes such as staff shifts and campus improvements to make Gabrielino better. The 2024-2025 school year will see the addition of two new assistant principals, Chanda Strom and Kevin Murchie, along with new athletic directors Edith Gonzalez and Andres Diosdado, and the retirement of longstanding counselor Jacqueline Borja.

Strom, previously the ASB co-director and a teacher of both Advanced Placement chemistry and regular chemistry, is moving into a higher leadership role. Murchie, formerly an assistant principal at Lincoln High School, is expected to join the Gabrielino Eagles in the fall of 2024.

These are not the only changes for the Eagles. Borja, a dedicated staff member since 1996, is retiring this year to pursue further education. She plans to complete her dissertation and devote herself full-time to her doctoral studies in education.

Final words to GHS: The goal for my students is to believe in themselves and not compare themselves to anybody else. Each and every person is unique and talented in their way. Find your own strengths and find out who you are. Value yourself, love yourself, and don’t compare yourself. Jacqueline Borja 2024

Borja also aims to potentially start teaching and open a non-profit organization to support first-generation, socioeconomically diverse BIPOC youth in college counseling. Additionally, she will continue to sit on the board for The San Gabriel For Change, run by George Herrera.

“People think of retirement as if you are just going to sit at home and watch TV, catch up on Netflix. No, it’s sort of like I am retiring to a doctoral program, retiring to helping with a non-profit,” Ms. Borja shared enthusiastically.

Leaving her position at Gabrielino is bittersweet for Borja, but it represents an opportunity for more growth. Similarly, Gonzalez is transitioning from her role as Associated Student Body (ASB) director to becoming the new athletic director.

After 24 years at Gabrielino, five of which were spent as ASB director, Gonzalez looks forward to fostering better communication and connection between coaches, athletes, and athletic directors. She is also considering the revival of the letterman’s club.

“I would love to bring that back because it was an opportunity for our lettermen to be leaders, athletic leaders on the field, but also at school,” emphasized Gonzalez.

Joining Ms. Gonzalez as an athletic director will be Diosdado, who also aims to introduce new ideas to improve Gabrielino High School as a whole.

Gabrielino High School continues to grow and adapt, ensuring that each change brings new opportunities for the students and staff alike.