Aesthetic of a staff member
Aesthetic of a staff member
Staff • June 4, 2024
End of school year sports recap
Bren Belmonte, Staff Writer • May 30, 2024

Baseball maintains optimism for future

Bren Belmonte

By Violet Wang| Staff Writer

At 3:30 p.m. today, the Gabrielino High School varsity baseball team will play in an away game against Mountain View High School. As only the fifth league game in a close season, the team feels optimistic and energized about the upcoming match.

“Now that the season’s started, we work very hard, we’re more focused, we work a little harder,” stated senior Daniel Ruiz.

This mindset is echoed by the rest of the team.

“We take [the start of the season] more serious[ly],” added senior Zachary Hill.

Ruiz is a transfer coming from a school that played baseball in Division One, the highest division under CIF Southern Section classification. In comparison, Gabrielino plays in Division Seven, the lowest division. Ruiz’s goal is to help the team improve using his experience and knowledge.

“Marshall’s always been on top the last two years, and I’d like to change that this year, and get as far as we possibly can in playoffs, and play more like a team.” Ruiz said.

Hill agreed with this sentiment. As someone who has been playing baseball since he was four, Hill helps the team in fielding and hitting.

“My hopes for the season are to get good results, get a banner for the school,” Hill explained. “Or at least place to go to playoffs.”

On March 29, the team played an away game against South El Monte High School. Scores were unavailable at press time.

The boys played against El Monte High School on March 27 at home at 3:30 p.m, winning 13-0. This would have been their second game against the team, however, the game planned against El Monte for March 15 was canceled due to rain.

An away game between Gabrielino and Arroyo took place on March 24. They won 1-2.

The Eagles’ first league game was against Marshall High School, a home game on March 20. The team lost a close match of 7-8.

Within the first three innings, Gabrielino scored seven points, a powerful beginning to the season.

“Our pitcher Jalen Sandoval was great, the energy was off, everything was great, everyone’s playing well,” began Ruiz, “until we start walking batters and making errors.”

Ruiz theorizes that the sudden downturn in performance caused the team’s hopes to go down as well, causing players to lose energy.

“We just need to stay focused a little bit longer and not give up too early. Don’t doubt on ourselves,” Ruiz said.

Despite the loss, Ruiz and Hill remain optimistic about the rest of the season. The two are certain that if the team focuses more on the little things and minute details, there will be success.

“We need to learn to play until the last inning, the final out,” Ruiz explained. “Then there’ll be no chance for the other team to beat us.”

On March 13, the team lost in an away game against San Marino High School, 0-10.

Gabrielino and Rowland High School played on March 8 and Gabrielino lost, 1-8.

The Eagles won against the Academy of Careers & Exploration on Feb. 27, 5-2.

In the second game of the season, the Eagles blew out Mark Keppel on Feb. 22, 18-0.

The baseball season started out on Feb. 14 with a rough loss, as Gabrielino lost to Pasadena High School, 0-8.