Captains’ Corner

By Nicole Banh | Staff Writer

By Bren Belmonte | Tongva Times

Karina Vargas

With pure love for wrestling and its community, sophomore Karina Vargas, captain of the girls wrestling team, is determined to see her team succeed. 

“My goal for this season is for me and my team to make it to CIF this year and just push ourselves to go far,” Vargas said.

As captain, Vargas runs drills and stretches for practice, pushing her team to the best of their ability. 

In the end, Vargas strives to give her team the best experience possible.

Vargas stated, “My strengths for wrestling I think is just pure love for the sport and the community. Loving it makes it so much easier to be dedicated and have a strong work ethic.”

By Bren Belmonte | Tongva Times

Joseph Martinez

Captain of the boys wrestling team, senior Joseph Martinez has big goals and aspirations, as well as the will to achieve them.

“I always dream about having that banner with my name on it in the gym,” Martinez stated, “I want my sister for when she comes to the school and my baby brother for them to look up and know I did something”

Initially, Martinez tried all sorts of different sports. However, wrestling was the one that called out to him.

“I just want to push everyone harder. For them to know this is what you can achieve on the mat,” Martinez explains, “because hopefully that doesn’t just stay on the mat but transfers outside of the room.”

By Bren Belmonte | Tongva Times

Madison Devriendt

Bouncing back from defeat in the Mission Vally League last year, senior Madison Devriendt, one of two captains of the girls soccer team, is resolute at winning league this year.

“To be able to get that championship and that streak back up would be great, and then obviously to make it to CIF,” Devriendt said.

While Devriendt started playing soccer when she was young, it does not stop her from trying out new sports.

“I’m thinking of trying out for track, so we’ll see if that happens,” Devriendt stated.

By Bren Belmonte | Tongva Times

Kaylani Seto

Coming from a family with a sports background, senior Kaylani Seto decided to follow in her family’s footsteps.  Seto is one of two captains on the girls soccer team. 

“I’m thinking about playing soccer at the college I’m going to,” said Seto.

Hardworking and diligent, Seto has played sports all her life and practices during the season and off-season.

“My role on the team is to be a leader by setting a good example for the lower and upper-class men,” explained Seto, “my goals for this season are to create a good team culture and improve my skills as a leader and a player.”