ASB finds their way to Homecoming success

Bren Belmonte

By Jordan Liu | Copy Editor

Amidst the chaos of the crowd taking pictures, the throng of students wildly dancing in the gym, and the piercing cold night, one constant could be found at Gabrielino’s 2022 Homecoming Dance: ASB’s dedication to delivering the best possible Homecoming experience for all students. 

On Oct. 22, the day of the dance, ASB was on campus from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., working tirelessly to get everything prepared. Even when it began to drizzle around 7:30 p.m., they refused to let the weather rain on their parade. Each member adapted to the challenge, quickly moving the dance supplies into the gym. After setting up the sound equipment, the dance continued and students partied on.

“ASB spent over six hours setting up, all for it to rain, which was disheartening,” recalled Senior Class President senior Vulena Xiong. “However, we adapted immediately. Seeing students being able to still enjoy the dance really calmed me down and made all the hard work ASB put in worth it.” 

The Homecoming Dance was the culmination of over a month’s worth of diligent preparation by ASB. During the dance, they were still coming down from the high of the previous night’s Homecoming Game, where they ran the halftime show.

“On one hand it’s scary not knowing if we will be able to get everything on and off the field in time,” said Xiong. “But on the other, it is exhilarating being in front of countless alumni, students, and families and being able to show them what we’ve worked so hard to put together.”

Even before the dance and game took place, ASB was hard at work organizing Spirit Week and the Fall Rally to ramp up the excitement. During Spirit Week, which took place during the week of the Homecoming Dance, creative dress-up days drew in many students who did not usually participate. 

The Spirit Week activities were also inspired by this year’s Homecoming theme, “Finding Your Way Home,”  based on Studio Ghibli, the beloved Japanese animation studio. 

ASB first revealed the theme at the Fall Rally on Sept. 30, where they kicked off Homecoming season with an entertaining skit, a Class Clash activity, and the unveiling of the Homecoming Court. To get everything done on time, ASB members had to come in before zero period and rehearse the rally in one take.

“We didn’t have much time to rehearse, but when we saw what we were able to put out there with the time we had, we felt really proud,” reflected junior Paris Ngeam with a smile. 

The Homecoming festivities not only united students but also brought ASB closer together. Throughout all of October, ASB members were some of the first to arrive on campus and the last to leave. All the time spent together created strong bonds between members, giving them the energy to endure the early mornings and late nights.

“I feel like the biggest tool we have is each other,” beamed freshman Ethan Tang, this year’s freshman Class President. “Teamwork is what makes this whole thing possible.” That teamwork ultimately carried ASB through this Homecoming season, despite their small numbers and a big burden. All the festivities were a testament to ASB’s relentless work ethic and their ability to work together through unexpected challenges. 

“We fight like we’re a family, we cry like we’re a family, we go through all the highs and lows together,” ASB President senior Reyan Nguy said fondly. “That’s why so many of us are okay with dealing with the stress- because we know that we’re all going through it together.”