Boys golf shows confidence despite losses

Keiko Yasui
WAITING FORE WINS Senior Alton Law tees off while the golf team remains hopeful for the Rio Hondo golf league preliminaries.
On May 3, sophomore Benjamin Ta will compete at the Rio Hondo golf league preliminaries starting at 10 a.m on the Marshall Canyon Golf Course. The Gabrielino High School boys golf team is hopeful for their teammate’s success.
“We did our best and had a lot of fun. The league prelims will be for the experience and meeting other golfers,” stated Ta.
Yesterday, the boys golf team faced off against San Marino High School at the Alhambra Golf Course. Scores were unavailable at press time.
While Gabrielino lost to San Marino in past matches this season, Coach Steve Swanson was confident of the team since then.
“We have hung a lot of championship banners in golf over the years, but we have not done very well this year as far as wins and losses,” stated Swanson.
He added, “I do see noticeable improvement from individuals.”
On April 26, the Eagles competed against Temple City High School at the Eaton Canyon Golf Course. Scores were unavailable at press time.
The boys golf team played against Monrovia High School at the Eaton Canyon Golf Course on April 21. Scores were unavailable at press time.
Gabrielino teed off against South Pasadena High School on April 19 at the Alhambra Golf Course. While scores were unavailable at press time, the team previously lost to the school but was not disheartened by the past losses.
“I think we are doing great for being in a tough league,” stated sophomore Anson Law. “Everyone is friendly so there aren’t any hostilities. But I think there could be more improvements, both physically and mentally.”
On April 14, the Eagles played against La Cañada High School at the Brookside Golf Course and lost, 247-230.
“The top team this year in the Rio Hondo league is La Cañada,” stated Swanson. “But many teams in the league like San Marino, Temple City, and South Pasadena are very good this year.”
In Gabrielino’s first match against San Marino on April 12 at the Santa Anita Golf Course, the team lost, 243-200.
Losing one of their closest games this season, the boys golf team was defeated by Maranatha High School, going 232-230 on March 31.
Maranatha was narrowly able to pull out a victory at the Alhambra Golf Course.
The Eagles teed off against Monrovia on March 29, playing at the Alhambra Golf Course. Despite the team’s efforts, the Eagles lost the game, 252-205.