Preview, predictions for NBA Playoffs

By Jordan Hum | Copy Editor

With the NBA Playoffs fast approaching on Apr. 16, the battle for the league’s crown has never been more hotly contested. With several teams having realistic paths to the promised land, the 2022 NBA Championship is truly up for grabs.

In the Western Conference, even though the Denver Nuggets have the reigning MVP Nikola Jokic and the returning Jamal Murray, it is the fifth seed Dallas Mavericks that edge them out in potential. The Mavericks have been one of the hottest teams through March and with phenomenal play from generational talent Luka Doncic, the Mavericks will likely make it past the first round, but not any further.   

The Memphis Grizzlies have been a surprise this season, led by second-year superstar Ja Morant. The second youngest team in the NBA has held a top four seed in the West the entire year. However, their inexperience will likely limit them from making it past the second round. 

The Golden State Warriors, with Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green, will likely continue their consistent success. Although they probably will not make it to the NBA finals due to injury, a trip to the Western Conference finals is enough to prove that the Warriors are still elite.

In the Eastern Conference, the resurgence of DeMar DeRozan had the Chicago Bulls looking like title contenders early on, but with the Bulls being 0-13 against top teams this season, the playoffs are looking like a trap.

The Boston Celtics got off to a shaky start but improved by bolstering the number one defense in the league. With Jayson Tatum playing at an all-NBA level, the Celtics have a small, yet real shot at winning the East.

Both the Miami Heat and Milwaukee Bucks have been great all season, as both teams have remained within the top three seeds for the majority of the year. Heat star Jimmy Butler and Bucks’ former MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo could both lead their team to the finals, but a tough conference might prevent that. 

Although the ninth seed in the East, the return of Kevin Durant may bring the Brooklyn Nets back into title contention, but inconsistency may hold them back. With the acquisition of Ben Simmons at the trade deadline, the Nets are the wild card of the season.

The other side of the Bens Simmons trade saw the 76ers gaining former MVP James Harden. His pairing with Joel Embiid, plus the rise of Tyrese Maxey have turned the 76ers elite. Although Harden has had their playoff struggles, Joel Embiid cannot be denied, and he will likely lead Philadelphia to the NBA finals. 

Atop the Western Conference and NBA standings sit the Phoenix Suns, with undoubtedly the most complete team. Even with Chris Paul out for the remainder of the regular season, the Suns have looked unbeatable. Coming short of the title in 2021, the Suns will have another shot at it, making it to the NBA finals for the second consecutive year. 

The 2022 NBA Finals will be a matchup between Devin Booker, Chris Paul, and the Phoenix Suns against James Harden and Joel Embiid of the Philadelphia 76ers. With an inevitable all-time scoring showdown between Booker and Harden, the series has the possibility of going seven games. While close, the Phoenix Suns will be the team hoisting the Larry O’Brien trophy as 2022 NBA champions.