Eagles win first round CIF, out in second

DOMINATING THE COURT  Penelope Sanchez, senior, passes the ball to captain Kyra Yoshitani, senior, while Kate Hamamoto, sophomore, puts up a screen, powering through Charter Oak players. 
Bren Belmonte

By Oralis Ward | Staff Writer 

On Feb. 12, Gabrielino High School’s (GHS) girls basketball team won the first bracket of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) match against Charter Oak High School, 57-46. 

Held at GHS, the Eagles ran a tight score with their opponent throughout the first and second quarters of the game. However, towards the end of the game, they kept the lead when the players’ persistence to win strengthened with their stamina.

Senior Kyra Yoshitani, Eagles’ basketball shooting guard explained, “[Although] we had confidence and faith of winning, the score showed [it] to be a lot closer than we thought.” She further included, “Overall, we finished strong by keeping our head in the game and staying competitive.”

Along with the team’s willingness to win, their technical strategies to defeat obstacles proved to be one of their biggest strengths, especially when utilizing their strong points to succeed in the first CIF round.    

Laura Leyda, a science teacher and an unofficial coaching assistant who was present during the tournament stated, “[The opposing team] was much taller, as I believe their tallest player to be six-foot-three.” She then explained, “[Since] their team had many more inches to our tallest [player], we made sure the team concentrated on speed. When they started using this strength after the first two quarters, [that’s when] we noticed the play [going well and even exciting].”

After the game concluded, the team was exhilarated to win the first bracket of CIF, considering it was the first playoff win after being qualified to be among Division 4AA. 

Sophomore Kate Hamamoto, Eagles’ basketball point guard, said, “I respect the seniors a lot, [so] it meant a lot to me to let them have another round to compete in, especially since we haven’t won the first tournament for CIF in a while. I was very happy for them and excited.”

Throughout the game, the head coach of the girls basketball program, Desiree Almaraz, a teacher in the social science department, recognized the team’s efforts and improvements, while also acknowledging the areas for growth. Along with this, it was also a priority to focus on preparation for the next tournament. 

Almaraz states, “I [promptly] congratulated the girls for being able to tackle bumps in the road when the games not going our way, [since] we are doing a lot better in our response to that,” she further explains, “I [also] always [emphasize to the team that] defense is first– that was my biggest punchline with them that once we play our style of basketball, which is aggressive interface defense, positive things happen.”

Remarked by Coach Almaraz, newcomer Penelope Sanchez, a senior at GHS, has shown striking improvements during the CIF tournament as well as the whole season.

“[During the CIF Tournament] when the team was struggling for a little bit, her ability to play solid defense, earning the team a tip, and scoring a three-pointer after passing the ball and getting it back– we started rolling from there,” Coach Almaraz adds, “Over the course of the season, [her accomplishments] when bringing intensity and unwavering confidence when making the shot when we need them, [was an improvement] I’ve seen when from the short time we’ve gotten to know her.”