Teacher assistants foster positive environment

By S.T. | Staff Writer

Bren Belmonte | Tongva Times
TEACHER ASSISTANTS  Seniors (left to right) Lea Jordan, Jessa Yau, Stella Warden, and Sydney Soohoo, sit down together for a break during lunch.

At the beginning of the school semester, senior Sydney Soohoo, juniors Lea Jordan and Stella Warden were given the opportunity to use their organizational skills to become library teacher assistants (TA). From shelving books to dusting tabletops, the girls are usually busy using their assigned TA periods to foster a tidy environment for their peers.

Soohoo chose to take the class because of her passion for reading, as being a library TA allows her to be surrounded by the books she loves and obtain an understanding of what goes on behind the scenes. 

“Before the pandemic, I enjoyed going to the [public] library with my mom and often wondered what it would be like to work part-time as a librarian,” stated Soohoo. 

She confessed that there were not many challenges she faced, however, there were times she struggled to carry the heavy textbooks while helping students check out.

Nonetheless, Soohoo maintains a positive attitude and ensures to complete her duties efficiently, which occasionally gives her free time to complete assignments. 

Warden’s caring personality aids in her success as a library TA. Though she admits to being shy at first, she enjoys communicating with others and building new relationships.

“It brings me joy, having the ability to help a student find a book or remove a printout,” smiled Warden. 

Being a library TA has allowed her to improve her work ethic and dedication to doing the best she can. 

Warden explained, “I help redecorate the library which can sometimes be time-consuming depending on what it is I am crafting, but I’ve learned to keep going.”

She is glad to be a part of a small community and plans to take this class again in her senior year if she can.

Similar to Soohoo, Jordan revealed that her interest in the class stemmed from her desire to gain an insight into the real world and see for herself what an actual job would entail. She shared that there is a fair amount of work that goes into keeping the library orderly which most are unaware of as their daily tasks change from time to time. 

Jordan explained that her favorite part about being a TA was spending time with the librarians, Eileen Chi and Terri Li. 

“They are very kind and hardworking,which makes the time I spend with them [pleasurable],” Jordan shared.

Jordan further expressed her enthusiasm by encouraging all students to take this class, if possible. She explained that it feels good to start her day with a class that she can hear her thoughts and learn about herself while helping others.